Instructions for Sending Ashes by United States Postal Service
Your Funeral Home, Mortuary, or Crematory can assist you in shipping ashes if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself. You may also call us, and we will help you with the process.
- Please mail the original or a certified copy of the death certificate and any disposition papers you received from your Funeral Home or Mortuary so that we may obtain a California Burial Permit. If you have a valid California Burial Permit that states disposition as "At Sea off the Coast of San Diego County" then we do not need the death certificate. If you have any questions about this, please call us.
- Please print out the Letter of Authorization from our FORMS page and fill it out.
- Please ship the ashes with the following guidelines:
- Pack the ashes in a siftproof container. The original plastic bag provided by the crematory is sufficient as a siftproof container.
- Put the siftproof container in a padded shipping box - your mortuary or funeral home can provide you with one.
- Mark the outside of your container "Cremated Human Ashes."
- Send Registered Mail OR Express Mail and keep track of the tracking number - we cannot be held responsible for the ashes while in transit.
Things that must be included on the shipping form:
- Your name
- Your relationship to the deceased
- Your complete address
- A phone number where we can reach you
- Your e-mail address if you have one
- Any other information you feel we need to know!
- Tranquility At Sea
- 1393 Lemon Ave
- El Cajon, CA 92020
Don't Forget: Please request "Registered Mail" or "Express Mail" for your shipment - we cannot be held responsible for ashes during transit. Both of these options offer verification of the date and time of delivery online or by telephone. Your loved one's ashes will be scattered at sea usually within 30 days of receipt. California law requires ashes be scattered within 60 days of receipt. We will email you a Memorial Certificate when we have dispersed the ashes. If you wish to be called before the ashes are scattered, please let us know. There is no additional charge for the phone call.
Questions? Please call us at (619) 222-8400
Cremated Human Ashes may only be shipped via the United States Postal Service (USPS) - Neither Federal Express nor UPS allow for the shipment of ashes at this time. A private courier service may be used, although this can be quite expensive.